Home‎ > ‎

Parish History

St. Mary's Mission Church was erected at the start of the Civil War (1861) on Bedford Avenue, Fishkill.  For 92 years, St. Mary was a mission of St. Joachim's in Beacon. In February, 1953, a "St. Mary Parish Association" was formed and petitioned the Archdiocese for a separate parish.  On June 29, 1953, the decree establishing the parish and appointing Rev. Francis McKeon as pastor, was signed.  Masses were held in the renovated Mission Church.  In July 1955, Msgr. McKeon purchased the house opposite the site of the school on Jackson Avenue and converted it into a rectory.  The building of St. Mary School proceeded rapidly and the new school auditorium was opened for masses on August 14, 1955.  St. Mary School opened in September, 1955 with an enrollment of 125 students.  The school was staffed by the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  The ground -breaking ceremony for the new church took place on June 6, 1965 and the consecration of the altar and first mass took place on December 9, 1967.